So, we now have 2 vehicles up for sale actively, and another two to go...
- PV544, Mike Harrison's road rally car: the YouTube video has been viewed 112 times
- Amazon 132, Amy's road rally car: viewed 24 times
- Still waiting for me to sort out videos
- My lovely and hugely amusing 142
- Our much loved Kawasaki Z1A that I've been riding for 23 years now
We turned around two cars this week, both with significant work...
- Stewart's early B18 Amazon
- suspension replacement: springs, bushes, shocks, steering joints
- now all those creaks have disappeared!
- Propshaft rebuild
- and the rest of the service
- Ian's early P1800S: "just a quick service before I go to Le Mans" was the instruction, but truth to tell it was not entirely as Mr Volvo intended
- Fuelling sorted
- steering sorted, new joints and geometry set
- overdrive we got working, but very weakly, and it drops back into direct drive when the engine is under load
- fuel smell: the rubber hose connecting the filler to the tank (sited in the boot) had split, see photo
- rear wheel bearings replaced
- front calipers replaced
The 245, which we haven't named yet, is on the ramps now...
- really easy to get the fittings stripped away ready to slide the gearbox & bellhousing back and off the car
- but surprisingly difficult to get the starter motor bulge on the bellhousing to clear the transmission tunnel, I eventually resorted to dropping the downpipe off the exhaust manifold, and getting Emma to lever the back of the engine to the R.
However, I anticipate refitting being a bit of a tinker...
- a fair amount of oil on the inside of the bellhousing, so I whipped it off the gearbox and sure enough the front gasket was the culprit. Whilst there I replaced the nose seal, and will give the new gasket a light spray of Hylomar before reassembling.
- The LUK clutch is excellent value, we always liked LUK but sadly they stopped making the B18/B20 clutch kit about 10y ago, so we have to supply Sachs units now.
- The gearbox mount is actually not too bad, but I shall still put a fresh one in.
- Thinking ahead to Emma's planned trip to Istanbul (umm, Iran, but she hasn't accepted that plan yet)
- We shall delete both the front and rear antiroll bars, since there is a good chance of finding ourselves on rough surfaces, and very little chance that we shall do a timed lap at the Nurburgring en route.
- The towbar needs to go
- I can find no evidence that the cambelt was changed at 100,000 - although with full dealer servicing it would be surprising had it not been. Anyway I'll change it.
- Fit Lambda boss to the downpipe and check that the carb, which appears to be running nicely (an Achilles heel on the 240 these days) is in fact working efficiently.
- Fit a USB power outlet - in fact I have an hour before the end of the week is officially here, so let's get going...
Leave a comment about this article: firstname.lastname@example.org